Sunday, October 12, 2014

My 68th Birthday

Today, October 12, is my birthday and it has been exactly one month since I wrote my last blog entry. It seems like a good time to do an update.

Tomorrow marks five weeks since I had my full knee replacement on my left knee.  The surgery went well, but the return home was difficult as I had problems with my pain medication.  Eventually, those problems got resolved and these days I am just taking Tylenol for the pain and using ice packs three times a day for 30 minutes each.  My sister Pegg lent me a recliner chair and it has been perfect for using the ice treatments. Thanks, Pegg!

I am resuming many of my traditional activities, but I don’t have the stamina that I once had.  For example, I will use the log splitter for 45 minutes and then I’m exhausted and have to come inside.  I’ve been trimming back some apple trees in our back yard and, similarly, I find I can work for 45 minutes and then I need to take a break.

The other thing that has changed is my sleep patterns.  I just can’t find a way to make the knee comfortable at night and allow myself to go to sleep.  I end up taking cat naps instead.  This morning, as an example, I was awake all night and then when it was time to go to church, I laid down on our bed for a brief nap and several hours later I awoke and realized that I had missed church entirely.

I am in my second week at the Hereford Physical Therapy Center and I have discovered several friends are there also including my neighbor’s granddaughter who is training to become a physical therapist.  They have a bunch of folks who push you to the limit, but they are very nice about it.  I go three times a week for an hour and we have seen substantial progress in the two weeks that I have been attending.

Meantime, there is the matter of the missed 50th Catonsville High School reunion.  I really wanted to go but it took two months to get on the surgeon’s schedule and I needed the surgery.  None the less, several of my classmates did things to help me “experience” the reunion in various ways.  The biggest event was a dinner organized by my friend Paulette Geisenkotter Hammond in which she invited several other classmates who also missed the reunion.  And then there was the concluding meeting of our reunion committee which Rick Webb organized at a Hunt Valley eatery for my convenience.

These are memories that I will cherish forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment